Welcome to The Cover Contessa's tour stop for Karen Finneyfrock's book The Sweet Revenge of Celia Door!
Want to know what this book is all about. read on!
That’s the day the trouble started. The trouble that nearly ruined my life. The trouble that turned me Dark. The trouble that begs me for revenge. Celia Door enters her freshman year of high school with giant boots, dark eyeliner, and a thirst for revenge against Sandy Firestone, the girl who did something unspeakable to Celia last year. But then Celia meets Drake, the cool new kid from New York City who entrusts her with his deepest, darkest secret. When Celia’s quest for justice threatens her relationship with Drake, she’s forced to decide which is sweeter: revenge or friendship. This debut novel from Karen Finneyfrock establishes her as a bright, bold, razor-sharp new voice for teens.
The Cover Contessa's Review:
I want to thank the author, Karen Finneyfrock, and publisher, Penguin, for sending me a copy of this book to read and give an honest review. Receiving this book for free has in now way influenced my opinion or review.
I want to start by saying I really love this cover. It's so simple, but really conveys everything we need to know about Celia right off the bat. She's quirky and different, and that's cool!
Celia is really well written. She really strikes me as a young teen going through changes during her first year of high school. A girl who has been bullied and thrown down, but still stands on her two feet and keeps up appearances. She wounded, but she has a spark that allows her to trudge on. I envy her ability to go from day to day knowing how others have treated her. Of course, when she meets Drake, things change. He's a bit quirky, too. And he holds a secret that only she knows. Him trusting her makes her feel special and worthy. And having a new best friend gives her courage for sure! Their interactions are really sweet. I think what really makes Celia special is her poetry. She is able to express herself so well with it. It gives great incite into her personality. How she has overcome being bullied and is ready to turn it around, though with revenge at first, later with just words.
I love the school backdrop. How everything really happens there. How seeing the people who bullied her day in and day out affects her as she plans her revenge. And each character is so unique. I found myself remembering what it was like to be a freshman in high-school, how it was hard to adjust and find my place. I see this very much in Celia because, despite her past of being knocked down by others, she perseveres.
I commend Finneyfrock in writing a funny, moving, completely honest story of a young girl finding her way in the tough and sometimes scary world of high-school. She gets her story across in a witty and humorous way, drawing the reader forward with her words and flowing storyline. She had me laughing, and crying, being a bit nervous and cheering, all at the same time.
4 out of 5 stars from me!
Karen Finneyfrock is a poet, novelist and teaching artist in Seattle, WA. Her young adult novel, The Sweet Revenge of Celia Door, is due from Viking Children’s Books on February 21, 2013.Her second book of poems, Ceremony for the Choking Ghost, was released on Write Bloody press in 2010. She is a former Writer-in-Residence at Richard Hugo House in Seattle and teaches for Seattle Arts and Lectures’ Writers-in-the-Schools program. In 2010, Karen traveled to Nepal as a Cultural Envoy through the US Department of State to perform and teach poetry and in 2011, she did a reading tour in Germany sponsored by the US Embassy.
- March 25th Monday Vlog Post & Review with Jean BookNerd
- March 26th Tuesday Review & Spotlight Intoxicated by Books
- March 26th Tuesday Spotlight A World of Words
- March 27th Wednesday Review & Music Playlist Tam’s Two Cents
- March 27th Wednesday Review & Spotlight Booksters Cafe
- March 28th Thursday Excerpt & Spotlight Tsk What to Read
- March 28th Thursday Review & Spotlight Chapter by Chapter
- March 29th Friday Interview & Spotlight The Reader Lines
- March 29th Friday Review & Spotlight Best Books
- March 30th Saturday Review & Spotlight with A Dream Within a Dream
- March 30th Saturday Spotlight with Annie Brewer Writes
- March 31st Sunday Review & Spotlight with Ever and Ever Sight
- March 31st Sunday Spotlight with The College Crawl
- April 1st Monday Review & Spotlight with Sassy Book Lovers
- April 1st Monday Interview & Spotlight Fiction Freak
- April 2nd Tuesday Guest Post & Spotlight with Curling up with a Good Book
- April 2nd Tuesday Review & Spotlight with Paranormal Book Club
- April 3rd Wednesday Tens List & Spotlight with Me, My Shelf and I
- April 3rd Wednesday Review & Spotlight with Allison’s Nook
- April 4th Thursday Review & Spotlight with Lady Amber’s Reviews
- April 4th Thursday Review & Top 10 Favorite with Sabrina’s Paranormal Palace
- April 5th Friday Review & Spotlight with Beneath the Cover
- April 5th Friday Review & Spotlight with Contessa at the Crossroads
- April 6th Saturday Review & Spotlight with Fictitious Musings
- April 7th Sunday Review & Spotlight with Candace’s Book Blog
- April 8th Monday Review & Spotlight with Ya-aholic
Thank you so much for being part of the tour!! :)ReplyDelete