Welcome to The Cover Contessa's stop on the Flawed blog tour!Title: FLAWED
Author: J.L. Spelbring
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Pub. Date: August 12, 2014
In a world where Hitler won the The War, and perfection is constantly sought, Ellyssa has broken free from her austere life and has found another meaning for her existence.
Family, friendship, and love.
But her happiness is short lived. Ellyssa finds herself on the run, again. Her father's work didn't die with him, but lives on in her siblings, Aalexis and Xaver, and they are determined to complete his unfinished dream.
1. Did you always know you wanted to be a writer or did you want to be something else?
Like most children, I went through all sorts of phases. I wanted to be a teacher, an astronaut, so forth and so on, but writing was something I always enjoyed doing.
2. How long does it take you to write a book from start to finish?
If I am allowed to write each day, I can write a book in about four months. I can usually write about 1000 good words a day.
3. How do you come up with themes for your stories?
I really don’t have an answer for that, they just develop. I’ve had plots develop from themes and vice versa. With PERFECTION the theme has to do with mankind constantly striving for something that is unobtainable.
4. Do you have a schedule of when you write?
Not really. There are things I have to have done though, like I have to have exercised first, shower (you know because of the exercising..lol), and have my caffeine.
5. How are you able to balance other aspects of your life with your writing?
Once in awhile, the ability to do that just floors me. I often read about other writers doing this and that, working full time, huge families, and I think they are like superman.
6. What elements do you think make a great story line?
Many elements make up a great story, but an author’s ability to make it all flow together and do it well is what really brings about a great story. In my opinion at least.
7. What was the hardest thing about writing a book?
To me, the hardest thing about writing is finding the time to do it.
8. How many books have you written so far? Do you have a favorite?
ASCENSION (PERFECTION #3) is my seventh. So far, FLAWED (PERFECTON #2) is my favorite. It is dark, dark, dark.
9. Do you have a favorite character?
10. Where do you write?
In my living room.
11. When deciding on how to publish, what directed you to the route you took?
I wanted to have a traditionally published book. I felt for me, and with my limited time, I wouldn’t have the time to properly self-promote like needed. I have friends that have self-published and they are constantly on the computer.
12. Have you gotten feedback from family about your book(s)? What do they think?
Yes, my mother, but she is prejudice. LOL!!!
13. What kinds of things do you like to do outside of writing?
I enjoy running and exercising, reading, reading, reading, and on occasion I enjoy a margarita.
14. What kinds of advice would you give to someone who wants to start writing?
Be prepared to take a lot of criticism. Also, be prepared to take that criticism separate what is helpful and what is not, and learn, learn learn.
16. What is your favorite book? favorite author? Do you have an author that inspired/inspires you to write?
I don’t have either. I read several genres from YA to adult, from detective to paranormal.
When I was younger, Stephen King and Dean Koontz were my favorite authors. I love horror. Still do.
17. Do you have any go to people when writing a book that help you with your story lines as well as editing, beta reading and such?
Yes, my daughter Trista. Whenever I find myself stuck, she is a great person to play (what I like to call) idea pong.
18. Are you working on anything now?
Yes, I’m working on ASCENSION (PERFECTION #3). Also, I have several notes on another book brewing for when I’m done with ASCENSION.
Thanks for being here today, Judy. So great to have you and good luck with your next book!
Her novel, Perfection, released in July, 2013 and the sequel Flawed releases August, 2014.To contact J.L, try:
Website | Facebook | Twitter | a Rafflecopter giveaway
8/4/2014- - Review
8/4/2014- WOrkS of FiCTioN- Guest Post
8/5/2014- - Review
8/5/2014- - Interview
8/6/2014- - Review
8/6/2014- - Guest Post
8/7/2014- - Review
8/7/2014- - Interview
8/8/2014- - Review
8/8/2014- - Guest Post
8/11/2014- - Review
8/11/2014- - Interview
8/12/2014- - Review
8/12/2014- - Interview
8/13/2014- - Review
8/13/2014- - Guest Post
8/14/2014- - Review
8/14/2014- - Interview
8/15/2014- - Review
8/15/2014- - Guest Post